Friday, May 15, 2009

Notes From the Future "Mrs." - Booking Venues, Priority #1!

Well, at least it was for me anyway. I definitely have had my heart set on couple places for a while now. Therefore, making these phone calls is a great starting point after announcing the engagement. So here are my favorite spots (in no particular order):

TOP CEREMONY CHOICES
1. First Park Congregational Church
2. Mayflower Congregational Church
3. Westminster Presbyterian Church

...all located in Grand Rapids, Michigan

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Westminister Presbyterian - Mayflower - First Park


TOP RECEPTION CHOICES
1. Cascade Hills Country Club
2. The JW Marriott
3. The GRAM

...all located in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Photobucket
Cascade Hills Country Club
Photobucket
JW Marriott
Photobucket
The GRAM


So, here is a line I've heard MANY TIMES already: "Sorry, we aren't allowed to book anything more than a year in advance." OK, I am going to be perfectly honest, I've never thought about venues having restrictions on advanced reservations before. Kind of embarrassing because I work in the industry (I know, I know) ...but none of our clients have very long engagements, maybe 5 months tops. I have over a year, so this will be quite a different timeline-experience than what I am used to.

The struggle of not being able to book places has turned me into somewhat of a hot mess, I must admit (at least HALF of the places have had this policy and the other places are already starting to book up!) I want to know my locations are secured, but I'm in a waiting lull. Oh well, it's life and I'll get over it.

Here's my tip: make a list of 5 favorite ceremony and reception sites right before you start making those phone calls and site visits. That way you'll have back up plans in case your 'dream' place is booked. Knowing you have other places of interest beforehand will help ease the heartbreak if something is not available.

That's all for now on my weekly update. Chris and I are off to make some site visits this weekend for the first time together. Hopefully by next week's blog we'll have some things BOOKED! Wish us luck!

~ Jill

0 comments: