Sunday, August 17, 2008

Unity Candle



CPA and I attended the wedding of our former nanny on Friday night. It was a lovely affair and it's always a treat to attend a wedding that I'm not responsible for!

One of the things we always do at our weddings is prime the wick of the unity candle -- in layman's terms that means light the candles and blow them out. By doing this, we eliminate the possibility that the candles won't light during the ceremony while all eyes are on.

This very thing happened to the mother-of-the-bride on Friday night. She just couldn't get the candle lit. After several attempts, she finally got the candle lit and then received a little chuckle and round of applause from those in the sanctuary. I have to admit, this scene had me squirming in my seat. And I even leaned over to CPA and said, 'I need to blog about this.'


Priming wicks is something that gets overlooked too often. It only takes a second to do and can save a whole minute or more of frustration later. I encourage you, as the bride, to ask your florist, master and mistress of ceremony or wedding planner to make sure that the candles get lit before hand so there will be no awkward moments during the ceremony. I promise, you won't be sorry you asked!


~Jodi

1 comments:

Aletha | Pearls Events said...

One of my brides did this to all of her reception candles too! Lighting all of the candles before guests arrived was a complete snap.