Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 1 - The Special Event 2009 {cont'd}

Okay, okay, I know what you're going to say. 'You said you were going to post every day while you were at The Special Event 2009.' So, I'm asking for your forgiveness. My brain is on sensory over-load, my feet hurt because the San Diego Convention Center is so darn big, and my body still thinks it's on Eastern Standard Time. The combination has been deadly and has resulted in the lack of blogging. But, I'm going to make up for it. I promise. So, let's jump right in!

Wedding Industry Professionals Association (WIPA) Panel Discussion

Oohh, this was a good one. And there were some hotly contested best-practices discussed. Here's the background information. WIPA is a new association that has been established to promote excellence and standards in the wedding industry. It will soon offer an accredited certification course for the wedding professional. The certification will be as prestigious as the CMP (Certified Meeting Planner) and the CSEP (Certified Special Event Planner). And it will be as difficult to earn enough credits to sit for.

In order to be a member of WIPA, you must meet certain criteria. The purpose is to weed out the wedding 'hobbyist.' {And there are lots of them out there...but don't get me started on that one!}. The criteria to meet is as follows:

  • Legal Business Status {you must show proof of this}
  • Three years in the industry
  • Liability and E/O insurance {again, you must show proof of this}

This brings me to a discussion on insurance. If you're a planner and you don't have it, get it! Seriously, you need to have it. I have carried insurance since forming my company. And I am shocked at how many planners don't carry it. SHOCKED! We live in a litigious society and this is something you simply must have. Again, it distinguishes the 'hobbyist' from the real-deal.

I loved this lively two-hour panel discussion. I loved the consensus that we need to get rid of the term 'Day Of Coordination' {there is NO such thing, lovely blog readers}. I loved the frustration voiced in the room why the 'hobbyist' drags us all down. I loved the distinguished panel members. I loved it all!

~Jodi

2 comments:

Jillian said...

JODI!!! I feel like it's an going to be an eternity until I see you on Wednesday! I can't wait to get all the details and hear about our new publicist! :) I'm home now, call me if you get a chance tonight! It sounds like you guys were non-stop busy getting lots of good tips!!! I hope you had so much fun!!!!

Jen Kroll said...

I'm so glad you had a great time! I've got a status update for you, but I'll plan on calling you tomorrow...weekend was spent sick in bed! :P