Saturday, December 6, 2008

How To...Make Wax Seals

*Photo courtesy of Wax Works


One of our lovely readers recently asked if I could explain how I made the wax seals for my sister's wedding. Well, I'm happy to oblige because they were so darn much fun to make!

The process is really quite simple. Here's what you need:

  • Low-temp glue gun
  • foil
  • wax sticks
  • wax stamp {look for one with a heavy brass bottom so you get a good impression}
I had never made wax seals before this project and definitely learned some 'tricks' that made the process go smoothly. Here's how you do it:

  1. Place a wax stick into your glue gun
  2. On a piece of foil, squirt a nickle-sized circle of wax
  3. Immediately place your stamp on the wax and leave it there for approximately 20 seconds
  4. Lift your stamp off the wax by pulling straight up
  5. Allow your seal to cool completely before removing it from the foil {I found that if I removed the seal while it was still warm it had a tendency to fold-up on the edges. The wax needs time to set so that it holds its shape}

There are a number of places to buy wax stamps. I found the one for my sister's wedding at Michael's. But if you want a gorgeous custom stamp, I recommend Wax Works. They have a large variety of beautiful handles and they do a great job engraving the brass.

And there you have it. A step-by-step process for making your own wax seals. Have fun!

~Jodi

1 comments:

Aletha | Pearls Events said...

great tutorial, jodi! thanks for sharing.